Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Key West, Florida and the snorkeling mishap



Some of the beautiful homes on the Key West shoreline


One of the 2 boats that was taken out to snorkel (we were on the other)




Our third destination was to Key West, Florida. It was absolutely beautiful! The water was gorgeous, it was a blueish teal color. Since we had so much fun on the jetskis yesterday, we decided to rent jetskis again. Since it was first thing in the morning we got the whole bay to ourselves! There was no traffic - just imagine having Mission Bay all to yourselves! We had a 4 mile radius to stay in, and it was just us! The waves were still choppy from hurricane fay, so needless to say we got some AIR with those jetskis. I got up to 52 miles an hour, and then hurriedly slowed down as I calculated how far I would of gotten thrown if I had biffed it on one of the waves. Unfortunately our underwater camera was the only thing we could bring so I'll have to post those pictures later from the CD that was made for those ones.





Then right after our hour of jetskis, we went straight to our sail and snorkel adventure. This was quite the..... adventure. Let me tell you a funny and TRUE (yes, I can laugh about it now that its over) about what really happened snorkeling.

We got on the sail boats which took us an hour out to the 3rd largest barrier reef in the world. The water was pretty choppy (thanks a lot fay) it was more like snorkeling in the ocean since the waves was so choppy. We got on our gear and jumped off the boats to go take a look around. I kept getting mouthfuls of saltwater, which at this time its about 2pm and the breakfast that I had eaten that morning was long gone. So, mouthfuls of saltwater on an empty stomach. After about 1/2 hour of snorkeling around the reef I got this overwhelming feeling of uneasiness and swam back to the boat, got my gear off, and grabbed a cup at the bar - and I threw up. After that not so lovely incident I went to go sit down and collapse where I had on the way to the reef. Only I noticed that it wasn't our stuff sitting there. It as someone else's. Then it hit me. My head swung around to the left and then I realized it............ I WAS ON THE WRONG BOAT. Oh, it just keeps getting better and better! Since they had an exact head count on the boats, I needed to go back to my boat. Could they drive the boat over there? NOPE, I had to swim it. I took a few minutes to compose myself and then grabbed some of my gear and jumped off the boat again to swim over to the boat I was actually supposed to be on. Those pictures are on the underwater camera too, so I need to get the CD to upload those pics. What a day!

7 comments:

Jon and Cheryl said...

Poor thing. Nothing's worse than a somach full of salt water....I can't believe they made you swim back to the other boat!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like something I would do!! If I even made it to the boat...

Beach Mommy said...

I am envious of you guys...Not the salt water bit so much as the cruise!! It looks beautiful and someday...I Will Go On A Cruise!!! With or without kids, preferably without I guess:)

Bethany said...

Wow! What a great trip!!! (Minus the salt water incident!). It looks so beautiful there. Hopefully we'll make it there someday too. Maybe we'll copy you guys and do it for our 10th anniversary too. The countdown begins! Only 5 more years to go . . .

Erin said...

That totally sounds like something that would happen to me. It looks like you guys had an amazing time...you two deserve it!

The six of us! said...

Well now you can say it was a truely memorable trip!!!

Gardner Family said...

The pictures are amazing!

I can relate to a not so fun snorkerling experience. It happened when I was 10 years old and I am still tormented by it...;)

In Hawaii with my family. The year is 1990. We were all snorkeling in Maui's gorgeous ocean. I swear I saw a shark. I freaked out and swam straight to the shore! I cut up my knees and legs on coral reef. And my Dad came and got me and made me swim back to the boat. He basically had to drag me because I was so panicked. Awwww family vacation memmories.....Good times! ;)

Seriously though - I can't believe the other boat didn't drive you over to your boat! Hope you still have good memories from the cruise. I am super jealous just from the pictures! :)